Sunday, March 11, 2007

Head in the Sand

I know that I am not the only one out there that sees the handwriting on the wall regarding the future of our country. What I cannot wrap my mind around is why we continue to squabble amongst ourselves over superfluous issues while we are losing the battle over our property rights, as well as other rights, bit by bit. Not only do we squabble incessantly, but, it seems, that is all we do.

I know that no group agrees all the time on all the issues. However, I’ll bet that if we all put our top ten issues on the table, at least seven of them would be the same. Our solutions may be different, but generally we all want the same thing. Why then do we sit idly by while those who would change the entire landscape of this great nation have their way? It’s not like the assault on our rights is clandestine or hidden in back rooms; no, it is right there for all to see. In order not to see it we have to bury our head in the sand and deny what is right in front of us. Maybe that’s the reason we refuse to recognize our peril; the war on terror, the liberal media, recent Supreme Court decisions, the failure to close the border, or locally, the Fire Plan, the BID in Nevada City, etc. If we admit that any of this is real, or a threat to our way of life (and it is, all of it) then we would have to do something about it. That would take commitment on our part and God forbid we would have to take a stand.

There is a saying and I’m not sure I am quoting correctly but you will recognize it. “All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing”(for the sake of those P.C. people out there, the quote says men, but it is an old quote and masculine included feminine. So to update “good men and women to do nothing).

Let me pose some questions: Is the war in Iraq really going as bad as the media would have us believe? Is the media really liberal or just not telling the truth? Do recent decisions by the Supreme Court really affect us? Why haven’t we closed the border, what about the North American Union or The Trans Texas Corridor or the Nafta Super Highway? If your answer to these is “HUH?”, then you are to whom I’m talking. If your answer is “I’m too busy”, then you are to whom I’m talking. If your answer is “I work all day and I’m tired” then you are to whom I’m talking. We are all busy and tired and we would all just like to relax, do our own thing and trust in our government to do right by us. This would be the most dangerous of all actions. NO! Now is the time to get involved, take action and make your opinions known.

Organizations throughout the country need and want your involvement and support. It is probably the only way we can effect change from the local level to the federal level. I don’t always agree with some of the positions of the organizations I support, but most of the time I do and that’s what is important. If I don’t like a particular policy, then I can get more involved and maybe influence some of the policy decisions. Everybody has at least two hours a week they could spend working for the good of their community and country. To those who say otherwise, I say nonsense. You just don’t care. Think of what we could accomplish if we all gave 8-10 hours a month to seeking truth, supporting our country and demanding that our elected officials be responsive to our wishes? Our opponents are doing just that and more and they are unchecked because we squabble amongst ourselves while our fundamental freedoms are being challenged at every level.

There are currently some very dangerous threats to our property rights, our ability to protect ourselves, our personal freedoms and the very sovereignty of this great nation. The time is now for all of us to get active. There are a number of groups that have the best interest of our country and community in mind. If you agree or disagree, let me know what’s on your mind. You can reach me through e-mail at mcw@wildblue.net. I look forward to your views and ideas. Talking, it’s the first step to getting involved.

1 comment:

chumly said...

What bothers me still is that more people vote on American Idol than the elections.